“My father rode a camel, I drive a car, my son flies an airplane, and his son will ride a camel.”
A common Arabic saying, The Long Emergency, James Howard Kunstler
“The American way of life is non-negotiable.”
Vice President of the United States, Dick Cheney, The Long Emergency, James Howard Kunstler
We have a wide variety of fresh vegetables, herbs, and lots of garlic. Stop in if you are driving by and in the market for some terrific certified organic produce!
Limited stock on these, so come in early for best selection or availability. The following are or will be available: Arugula, Broccoli – Early Green, Cauliflower – Snowball, Collards – Vates, Kale – White Russian, Lettuce – Carmona, Mesclun Salad Mix, Mustard – Mizuna, Onion – Lisbon White Bunching, and Spinach – America. All are certified organic.
Except where noted, all starts are $1.80/pack.
Something new! We have teamed up with www.veggiebeds.com to have available pre-fabricated vegetable beds. You can come in with a pickup, get a cubic yard of our Deluxe Garden Blend, throw a prefabricated vegetable bed on top, pickup some seeds and/or starts, and you are gardening in one morning or afternoon. Prices range depending on size and options. Basic beds with start at $86.45 and range up to $186.20. You can add options like hinged hoop tops to allow you to grow all winter.
Check out their website.
Published in 2006 by James Howard Kunstler, this is a must read. We are now seeing and experiencing some of his predictions come true. The cover of the hardback version best summarizes this work:
“The industrial world is built on cheap energy. Over the past century, we have use the stored energy of millions of years of sunlight—in the form of oil, coal, and natural gas—to create the marvels and miracles essential to modern life. But now the cheap fossil fuel fiesta is ending, climate change is upon us, and our models of global industry, commerce, food production, and transportation may not survive. Industrial civilization is in big trouble, and the American people are sleepwalking into a future of hardship and turbulence. James Howard Kunstler, one of our shrewdest and most engaging social commentators, tells what to expect when we pass the tipping point of global peak oil production and enter the long arc of depletion—economic, political, and social changes on an epochal scale—sooner than we think.
The Long Emergency will change everything. Globalism will wither. Life will become intensely local. The consumer economy will be a strange memory. Suburbia—considered a birthright and a reality by millions of Americans—will become untenable. We will struggle to feed ourselves. We may exhaust and bankrupt ourselves in the effort to prop up the unsustainable. And finally, the United States may not hold together as a nation. We are entering and uncharted territory of history.
In the Long Emergency there will be no hoped-for hydrogen economy. No combination of alternative fuels will permit us to run things the way we are running them, or even a substantial fraction of them. We will have to downscale every activity of everyday life, from farming, to schooling, to retail trade. Say farewell to easy motoring and commercial aviation. Life in the Long Emergency will be about staying where you are.
In the Long Emergency we will endure a grueling contest over the world’s remaining oil resources. Epidemic disease and faltering agriculture will synergize with energy scarcities to send nations reeling—and reaching aggressively for the means of survival. Desperation at home and a vanishing middle class may provoke extremist politics in America that were previously unimaginable.”
Also from the book:
· The total planetary endowment of conventional nonrenewable liquid oil was roughly two trillion barrels before humans started using it. Since the mid-nineteenth century, the world has burned through roughly one trillion barrels of oil, half the total there ever was, representing the easiest-to-get, highest-quality liquids. The half that remains includes the hardest oil to get, lowest-quality liquids, semisolids, and solids.
· Worldwide discovery of oil peaked in 1964 and has followed a firm trend line downward ever since.
· The rate of oil use has accelerated tremendously since 1950. The explosive rate of world population growth has run parallel to our rates of oil use (in fact, oil has enabled the population explosion).
· The world is now using 27 billion barrels of oil a year. If every last drop of the remaining 1 trillion barrels could be extracted at current cost ratios and current rates of production - which is extremely unlikely - the entire endowment would last only another thirty-seven years.
· In reality, a substantial fraction of the remaining half of the world's total oil endowment will never be recovered.
· After peak, world demand will exceed world capacity to produce oil.
· After peak, depletion will proceed at 2 to 6 percent a year, while world population is apt to continue increasing (for a while).
· More than 60 percent of the remaining global oil endowment lies under the Middle East.
· The United States possesses 3 percent of the world's remaining oil reserves but uses 25 percent of world daily oil production.
· The United States passed peak in 1970 with the annual rate of production falling by half since then-from roughly 10 million barrels a day in 1970 to just above 5 million in 2003.
· The ratio of energy expended in getting the oil out of the ground to the energy produced by that oil in the U.S. oil industry has fallen from 28:1 in 1916 to 2:1 in 2004 and will continue falling.
Mr. Kunstler was also featured on KUOW’s The Conversation on Earth Day this year. You can listen to more of the things he has learned since writing this book here.
Given all of the information in the previous newsletters and this one on toxins in our environment and bodies and their devastating effects on human health, we continue to stock Waiora’s Natural Cellular Defence Liquid Zeolite and Karen Yule’s products to rid yourself of them.
Dr. Gabriel Cousens, M.D. calls NCD "an alchemical gift from God." He says, "Natural Cellular Defense is different from supplements that generally add to your well-being, but are not necessary. Natural Cellular Defense is simple, elegant, extraordinary, and necessary for maintaining healthy living in today's modern toxic world." He also says it's the best product he's used in 35 years as a holistic doctor. The liquid zeolite product is safe, non-toxic, and easy to use.
Waiora’s Natural Cellular Defence Liquid Zeolite 15ml bottle can be purchased online here or here for $49.95 plus shipping, handling and tax, or we are carrying it at the farm for $45.- One bottle lasts one month at a 3 drop 3 times a day maintenance level. At the recommended 10 drop 3 times a day detox level, it lasts about 1/3 of a month.
The most complete website about Natural Cellular Defense (Liquid Zeolite) is: http://www.liquidzeolite.org
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
14741 Lawrence Lake Rd SE
Yelm, WA 98597